What Causes Gum Recession?
Receding gums (or root recession) can cause real problems and is more than a cliché about aging. “Long in the tooth” is the rather unfortunate term referring to someone who is looking older. But even though this is a stereotype, it is true that people of any age can suffer from receding gums. Those receding gums can signal that there are more serious issues.
Gum recession brings many complications among our patients from the Newport News, Hampton Roads, Williamsburg, VA, and surrounding areas:
- Unattractive – Receding gums are unsightly. You may be embarrassed with your root recession. Roots are typically dark and unsightly, and the recession can cause your smile to look lopsided.
- Health Concerns – Periodontal disease is a real risk if you have receding gums. In addition, scientific research studies have also proven that there are strong links between periodontal disease and heart disease, diabetes, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer and other serious health complications.
- Tooth Loosening or Loss – It is a difficult and rather frightening occurrence if your teeth are loose and begin to fall out. It can also be very expensive.
- Tooth Sensitivity – When roots of teeth are exposed due to recession, nerves are exposed that cause sensitivity to hot and cold.
- Decay on Roots – Roots of teeth are not protected by enamel and are very soft in comparison. Therefore, they decay rapidly and are difficult to restore.
Common Reasons for Receding Gums
Receding gums can be attributed to any of these causes:
- BRUSHING FORCEFULLY | Whatever you were taught as a child regarding how to brush, brushing your teeth too forcefully, or at the wrong angle, can actually damage your gums and make them more susceptible to gum recession. Also, if you use a brush that is too hard or toothpaste that is too abrasive, you could be encouraging gum recession and exposed roots.
- WEAR AND TEAR | Because we use our teeth every day of our lives, they receive some natural wear and tear.However, because most of the damage progresses so slowly and does not hurt until its later stages, you may not even notice gum recession.
- GUM DISEASE | Almost 85 percent of Americans suffer from periodontal (gum) disease in some stage or another. We see it every day in young and old patients in our Hampton Roads Newport News practice, but it is everywhere.If periodontal disease isn’t treated, gum recession and much worse can result.
- ORTHODONTIC THERAPY – Many times, the forces of braces cause thinning of bone over the roots of the teeth, making them susceptible to root recession.
- GENETICS – Many people are born with thin gum tissue and/or prominent roots, making gum recession a more common occurrence.
- GRINDING AND CLENCHING of TEETH | Bruxism, otherwise called “teeth grinding,” wears down your teeth. Combined with strenuous brushing and/or periodontal disease, you could be facing root recession.
Take Control of Receding Gums and Root Recession in Newport News
Gum recession never has to be something you face in your life. If you have or suspect you have receding gums (root recession), call today to schedule a visit to our Newport News office serving the Hampton Roads, Williamsburg, VA, and surrounding area. We know you will appreciate the many benefits this remarkable Pinhole Receding Gums Treatment™ can bring.